Media Relations Seminar: Winning with Journalists and Influencers
SCHA is proud to partner with Sonoma Valley Visitors Bureau (SVVB) to present a workshop designed to build your skills for publicity success. Publicity pro and SVVB Executive Director Tim Zahner will moderate an expert panel of journalists and PR pros who will share their stories from the front lines and update you on the latest trends and best practices for managing today’s media.
Tuesday, August 13
10:30 AM – 12 PM
Ledson Winery & Vineyards
7335 CA-12, Kenwood, CA 95409
The panel discussion will cover these foundational topics, in addition to answering your questions:
– When to write a Press Release and (as important) when not to
– When and how to pitch media for great results
– Social Media: When to pay for coverage or retain an Influencer and rules of the road for doing so
– Resources for building your Media List
– Importance of Photography – Do iPhone photos cut it?
– Do you need a PR Agency? Factors to Consider
Seating is limited, so be sure to register!
SCHA Member Fee: $20; Non-Member Fee: $35
Our outstanding panel will include:
- Matt Villano, freelance journalist: Matt proudly has never had a full-time job. In more than 22 years as a full-time freelance writer, the Healdsburg resident has penned pieces for publications and web sites such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, TIME, AFAR, Travel + Leisure, National Geographic Traveler, Entrepreneur, CNN Travel, and more. He also contributes regularly to The Press Democrat and The Healdsburg Tribune. When he’s not writing, he likely is chasing his three daughters or cheering on the New York Yankees. Learn more about him at whalehead.com.
- Josh Sens, freelance journalist: Josh has been a journalist for 25 years, starting his career in newspapers and radio, including work as a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle and a producer for the Osgood Files on CBS Radio. He spent 16 years as the chief restaurant critic for San Francisco Magazine and remains a contributor to Golf Magazine, where he has worked since 2004. He is the co-author, with former Van Halen lead singer Sammy Hagar, of Are We Having Any Fun Yet: The Cooking and Partying Handbook.
- Tyffani Sedgwick, CTA, Senior Account Executive, Holly Hansen Public Relations: Tyffani has spent her professional career telling stories. She spent ten years as a TV news anchor, reporter, and producer in California, Washington, and Montana markets before transitioning her skills to PR & Communications 20 years ago. Tyffani has worked for iconic businesses like the The Culinary Institute of America, the Jimtown Store in Healdsburg, V. Sattui Winery, the girl & the fig restaurants, Sonoma County Tourism, and the Calistoga Chamber of Commerce.
- Tim Zahner, Moderator, Executive Director of SVVB: Tim joined SVVB in August of last year. Prior to his current position, Zahner was Chief Operating Officer of Sonoma County Tourism, after serving as the Interim CEO and as the Chief Marketing Officer of Sonoma County Tourism for more than 10 years. During the October 2017 wildfires he led SCT’s immediate response from the hospitality industry as well as the “open for business” messaging in the months following.